CITY OF BLAINE
In-Person Only For This Meeting
CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
Monday, February 13, 2023
Mary Lou Steward – Mayor
Richard May – Mayor Pro Tem
Due to technical difficulties, this meeting will only be conducted in-person. Therefore, audience members will be unable to access this meeting through Zoom.
A. STUDY SESSION: 5:40 PM – Blaine Tourism Advisory Committee Interview – Bob Boule
5:50 PM – Blaine Tourism Advisory Committee Interview – Mangal Samra
B. CALL TO ORDER
Moment of Silence and Pledge of Allegiance – Led by Mayor Steward
COUNCILMEMBERS: Garth Baldwin, Eric Davidson, Kerena Higgins, Mike Hill, Rhyan Lopez, Richard May, and Mary Lou Steward.
C. AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION - Sign-up/Comment Sheet is located in the Council Chambers before the meeting. Members of the audience will have three minutes to speak. If you plan on commenting remotely via Zoom, instructions on how to comment are included at the bottom of the agenda. Audience members speaking remotely will be asked to participate first. After the remote audience participation is over, in-person speakers will be asked to speak.
D. WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS
1. Email dated January 25, 2023, from Jay Taber, regarding a civic center master plan.
2. Email dated January 25, 2023, from Stacie Pratschner, regarding the Special Park Use Permit for camping at Marine Park.
3. Letter dated January 26, 2023, from Senator Shewmake, Representative Rule, and Representative Timmons, regarding the RAISE grant program and the proposed Bell Road-BNSF Railway Grade separation project.
4. Email dated January 30, 2023, from Chief Donnell Tanksley, regarding his memo to the Police Department regarding Tyre Nichols.
5. Email dated February 8, 2023, from Jay Taber, regarding an art workshop.
E. CONSENT AGENDA
Items listed below will be enacted by one motion. If separate discussion is desired on an item, that item may be removed from the Consent Agenda and placed on the Regular Agenda at the request of a Councilmember.
1. Voucher Memo:
Approval of Bills: $362,066.31
2. January Advanced Pay: $40,692.86
3. Wire Register: $403,380.32
4. Approval of Payroll: $794,844.13
5. Approval of January 23, 2023 City Council Minutes.
F. COUNCIL ACTION ITEMS
1. Appoint Blaine Tourism Advisory Committee (BTAC) Members. (Crawford)
2. A Request to City Council to Authorize the City Manager to Sign the Contract between Maul, Foster & Alongi and the City of Blaine for the development of a Housing Action Plan. (Wenger)
3. Approving Resolution 1908-23, Which amends Resolution 1905-22 and the 2023 Legislative Agenda. (Crawford)
4. Amendment 001 to Water System Plan Amendment Scoping Study Task Order #2022-03 with David Evans and Associates, Inc. (McSpadden)
5. Amendment 002 to the G-street Sewer Improvements Project’s design contract with David Evans and Associates, Inc. (McSpadden)
6. Ordinance 23-2993, Amending the 2023 Budget for the Hotel/Motel Fund 110 also known as Tourism/BTAC. (Heverling)
7. Resolution 1911-23, Adopting Right of Way procedures. (Ruffatto)
8. Approval of Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Agreement with Bob Stowe. (Crawford)
9. Letter of Support for Port of Bellingham Local & Community Project State Grant Application. (Wenger)
G. COMMISSION, COMMITTEE AND BOARD REPORTS
1. Ad Hoc Committee
2. Mayor’s Report on Olympia Trip
H. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
Information on how to listen to the meeting live will be on the City Council agenda which is located on the City’s website homepage under Your Government, City Council, City Council Agenda. Please check the agenda prior to each meeting as the call in number or location may change.
Monday, February 13
5:40pm – BTAC Interviews
6:00pm – City Council Meeting
Thursday, February 16
9:00am – Ad Hoc Downtown Advisory Committee Meeting
Monday, February 20
City Offices Closed – Presidents’ Day
Monday, February 27
6:00pm – City Council Meeting
Tuesday, February 28
3:30pm – Civil Service Commission Meeting
Contact information for staff and Councilmembers can be found on the City’s website.
J. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
K. COUNCIL NEW BUSINESS
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirement: The meeting location is accessible. If you require a special accommodation during your attendance at any public meeting, please contact the City Clerk’s Office (360) 332-8311 at least 72 hours prior to the meeting date you will be attending. Thank you.