Engineering Technician III
First review deadline: Friday, December 31, 2021, at 4:30pm; Open Until Filled
The Engineering Technician III provides a wide variety of technical support to the public and Public Works Department both in the office and the field such as plan review, document processing (i.e. developer review), document archival, data collection, and inspection services for both developer and public projects. Utilizes GIS tools to support technical analysis of facilities and property within the scope of department needs, such as utility mapping, infrastructure planning, addressing, and other needs. Assists with preparation of a wide variety of engineering designs and assists public by providing information regarding engineering practice and policy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs data collection for analysis of traffic control within public right-of-way, such as utilizing traffic counters and a computerized system.
- Provides inspection and construction management support to city construction projects, including site inspection, documentation, technical support/contractor coordination, and other duties as assigned.
- Conducts development review to include plan review for consistency with city standards, processing of Public Facilities Construction Agreements and other associated documentation, coordination with other city departments, as-built plan review, and other related duties as assigned.
- Inspects public facilities/utilities installed as part of private development when required.
- Calculates quantities, prepares cost estimates, review bid specifications and documents.
- Maintains updates to utility mapping, addressing, traffic counts and other facilities utilizing analysis tools such as GIS, AutoCAD, and Excel.
- Assists with design of street improvements, sanitary and storm sewers, water mains and other Public Works projects.
- Assists GIS in the collection and development of data as needed.
- Prepares a variety of reports, legal descriptions and records associated with projects, typically of a difficult or sensitive nature.
- Maintains Public Work’s Department page on the city’s website.
- Provides technical support to developers and contractors performing work on public and private facilities.
- Maintains records archival for development review projects, maps and project drawings.
- Assists in technical support and establishment of office systems, procedures and equipment.
- Responds to citizen questions and complaints by telephone, at the service counter or in writing; advises citizens of requirements, codes and regulations and provides information regarding engineering practice and policy.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs special projects as developed and assigned by supervisor and as required to balance the work load.
Education and/or Experience:
- Associate’s degree with an engineering or GIS curriculum including survey courses.
- Four (4) years of experience in a similar work situation or any combination of education and experience that demonstrates competency.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of technical engineering principles in a municipal setting.
- Familiar with ESRI’s ArcGIS Local Government Information Model and editing of parcel fabric preferable.
- Knowledge of mathematics through trigonometry.
- Ability to utilize computer to perform technical analyses relating to functions of the job.
- GPS equipment for locating public improvements in the field.
- Ability to proficiently utilize all equipment standard to the division and to adapt to new equipment as developed and obtained.
- Ability to provide work direction to lower classified employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with professionals, public officials, other employees, and the general public. Must be adaptable to performing under stress and when confronted with persons acting under stress.
- Ability to communicate effectively, including orally and in writing, in clear, concise language appropriate for the purpose and parties addressed. Use tact, discretion and courtesy to gain the cooperation of, and establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials, vendors, co-workers, other departments, and diverse members of the public.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, staff members, public officials, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing requiring attention to detail, good writing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to work independently or cooperatively as a team member.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD and ArcGIS.
- Must maintain a level of personal integrity.
- Possess a valid State of Washington Driver’s License and appropriate insurance at the time of hire for work-related travel and operation of city vehicle. Driving record free of any significant moving violations.
- May be required to obtain a Notary Public license in the State of Washington.
- Ability to pass required appropriate background checks.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is performed in both the office and off-site in various outside locations. Employee may work outdoors in various weather climates and will be required to move about the construction sites to perform inspections. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to odors and fumes, loud machines and equipment, and electrical current. Work typically involves the proficient use of computers, software and other office equipment. Work also involves considerable contact with the public and staff of other city departments. Position requires hand manipulative skills for word processing and writing. Must be able to hear verbal conversations over the phone and in-person with background noise. Must be able to consistently identify objects and persons at a distance and read fine print on various forms and plans. Requires the ability to lift or exert up to 25 pounds.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is $5,243 to $6,119 per month. The position is a member of the Teamsters Non-Uniform bargaining group. The City offers an excellent benefit package including:
- Participation in WA State Retirement
- Health benefits at 90-percent
- Vision care benefits at 100-percent
- Dental benefits at 100-percent
- 12 paid holidays (10 plus 2 floating)
- 15 paid vacation days starting (up to 26 days)
- 12 annual sick leave days
- City Matching Deferred Compensation
Click here to fill out the application
The first review deadline is 4:30 pm on Friday, December 31, 2021; open until filled.
The City of Blaine is an Equal Opportunity Employer.