- Feature Links
- Public Records Request
Public Records Request
About Public Records Requests
In compliance with the Public Records Act, request forms are available on the website under Request Tracker or as a Public Request Form (PDF). Request forms can also be obtained by contacting the Administrative Services office at 360-332-8311 or by email.
Cost for Public Records
There is no fee for inspecting public records.
- Copies: Black and white copies (8.5 inches x 11 inches or by 14 inches) are 15 cents per page
- Mailing: Actual cost of postage and mailing materials
- Color, larger documents and digital media: Actual cost of reproduction
- Staff time for scanning and duplicating: Actual cost
- Additional costs: View the Uniform Fee Schedule
For large requests, the city may:
- Require a deposit of 10% of the estimated cost prior to the copies being made
- Provide copies in installments
- Require advance payment before providing further installments
Response to Public Records Requests
The city clerk is the contact for all requests not related to police record requests. The Administrative Services office coordinates with other departments and offices to collect documentation responsive to the requests
Within 5 business days of receipt of the request, the Administrative Services office will do one of the following:
- Make the records available for inspection or copying
- Provide copies to the person who made the request if payment has been received
- Provide an estimate of when records will be available
- Contact the person who made the request for clarification of request
- Deny a request citing the reason(s) for denial
Records Exempt From Disclosure
The Public Records Act lists the types of documents that are exempt from public inspection and copying. Other laws also prohibit disclosure of certain records. The City of Blaine will not disclose lists of individuals for commercial purposes. If only a portion of a record is exempt from disclosure, that portion of the document will be redacted.
- If the person making the request has not reviewed or claimed the records within 30 days of the notice that records are available, or if the person fails to make payment, the Administrative Services Office may close the request.
- If requested records contain information that may affect the rights of others, the Administrative Services Office may give notice and allow time for action by the other parties.
- The City of Blaine follows the Washington Secretary of State recommended General Records Retention Schedules.