Community Development Services
- Guiding and regulating community growth and development in a manner that protects environmental resources;
- Enhancing quality of life;
- Promoting distinctive neighborhoods and a healthy downtown;
- Involving citizens in the decisions that affect them;
- Community planning;
- Development regulations;
- Construction regulation;
- Parks and recreation management. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Important Notice to Our Customers
Starting July 12, the City of Blaine Community Development Services Department (CDS) will transition to electronic permit submittals for all new projects. The Electronic Permit Submittal process will be used in lieu of traditional paper-based submittals. All plan review submittals must be submitted via electronic media, in PDF format. See Electronic Permit Submittal Instructions for more details on how to apply.
As required by RCW 19.27.031 the City of Blaine will be updating their construction codes to the 2018 Washington State Building Code. The new codes can be found on the State Building Code Board’s website. Any permit accepted prior to 2/1/2021 will be vested in the 2015 codes.
Planning and Building Permits
Looking to build something or start a business in Blaine? The Community Development Services Department oversees the use and development of properties within the city to ensure public safety and compliance with local codes and regulations.
What Permits are Needed?
Depending on the scope of your project, you may need different permits from Planning and Zoning and/or Building Services. Check on permit requirements before you start the work to save yourself time and money.
- For building permits: See the Building Permit Applications & Handouts
- For land use applications: See the Land Use Informational Bulletins and Land Use Applications
Ready to get started?
APPLY VIA E-MAIL: Effective July 12, 2021, all new permit applications must now be submitted electronically.
E-mail Your Application Materials* to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be sure to submit a complete application, including all relevant forms and required documentation. We cannot process an incomplete application. Failure to provide all of the required information will delay the processing of your application.
You may contact the Community Development Services staff by email or by phone at 360-332-8311 where our knowledgeable staff can determine the types of permits, documents, forms, and other project-specific information that will be required.