Office Specialist - Utility Billing
Under the general direction of the Finance Director, the Utility Billing Office Specialist works directly with the Utility Billing Coordinator and performs regular and recurring customer service, administration of utility billing records, utility billing accounting, and total utility billing cycles. This position is also required to perform periodic Utility Billing Coordinator functions including after-hours reinstatement of utility meter services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides friendly customer service, by telephone and in person, for utility billing accounts.
- Posts utility billing master files.
- Files and maintains utility billing records and journals.
- Provides effective communications with the public, all City departments, and other agencies.
- Processes utility billing invoices, delinquencies, hang tags, and other documentation in a timely basis.
- Produces spreadsheets and word processing documents.
- Communicates and co-ordinates with public works crew for daily service requests, meter reads, meter checks, water leaks, etc.
- Maintains customer information database.
- Maintains and updates meter information on a per property basis.
- Processes billing for electrical demand meters and resets meters monthly.
- Maintains and processes the Auto Debit program for bill payments.
- Processes all aspects of the meter reading cycles, including but not limited to, creating routes, loading routes into handheld interrogators, uploading and downloading information from the interrogators, run meter reading reports, review reports for accuracy or problems with meters, schedule crew for repairs on meters, process, print and mail bills.
- Processes deposit and overpay refunds, owner and tenant manual bills, utility assistance vouchers, water leak adjustments, mis-read meter adjustments, and title company requests.
- Reviews reading routes for problems with meters, and schedules crew to investigate meter problems.
- Updates new meter information into appropriate databases and accounts.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists the Utility Billing Coordinator as assigned, including special projects.
- Provides back-up support to the Utility Billing Coordinator as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent. Post-secondary education in accounting, bookkeeping, or business preferred.
- Minimum two (2) years of financial experience required. Local government experience preferred.
- Equivalent combination of post-secondary education and experience that provide the incumbent with the necessary qualifications may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, word processing, spreadsheet calculations, database maintenance and updates, utility billing software, and meter reading software.
- Ability to work effectively with supervisors, coworkers and the public in general, contributing to positive customer relations.
- Ability to respond to call out situations where a utility customer is in need of a reinstatement after business hours and the knowledge of how and when to call out other crew members to resolve a situation.
- Ability to perform work duties with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, multi-task, prioritize, organize, and respond to frequent deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and appropriate insurance at the time of hire for work related travel. (Driving record must be free of any significant moving violations.)
- Ability to pass background checks required for the position.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is primarily performed in office setting with limited travel to other City facilities, meetings and training. Work typically involves the proficient use of computer, software and other office equipment. Work also involves considerable contact with the public and staff of other city departments. Position requires ability to move throughout the office and between locations and hand manipulative skills for word processing and writing. Must be able to hear verbal conversations over the phone and in-person with background noise. Must be able to consistently identify objects and persons at a distance and read fine print on various forms. Requires the ability to lift or exert up to 25 pounds occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
*Since this position is part-time, the employee's vacation and sick leave will be prorated. The vacation and sick leave accrual amounts reflected above are for full time.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for the position.
Click here to fill out the application
The first review deadline is 4:30 pm on Friday, January 7, 2022; open until filled.
The City of Blaine is an Equal Opportunity Employer.